Strange California: A Speculative Fiction Anthology funding on Kickstarter through Fri, Oct 28 2016 2:59 AM EDT.
October 27 (Thursday) 6 pm -- Flyleaf Books hosts Megan Shepherd and John Claude Bemis for their new middle-grade novels The Secret Horses of Briar Hill and The Wooden Prince. Megan Shepherd grew up in her family’s independent bookstore in the Blue Ridge Mountains. She is the author of several acclaimed young adult books, and The Secret Horses of Briar Hill is her debut middle-grade novel. Shepherd lives and writes on a 125-year-old farm outside Asheville, North Carolina, with her husband, two cats, and a dog. John Claude Bemis is an award-winning author, musician, and educator. His novels include The Prince Who Fell from the Sky and the Clockwork Dark Trilogy. He received the Excellence in Teaching Award from UNC Chapel Hill’s School of Education for his work in the schools as an author-educator and served as North Carolina’s Piedmont Laureate in 2013. John lives with his wife and daughter in Hillsborough, NC.
October 28-30 (Friday to Sunday) — Military science fiction convention HonorCon 2016 at the Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown with authors David Weber, Charles Gannon, Christopher Nuttall, Greg Cox, and Steve White, and media guest Claudia Christian (Babylon 5).
SUPPORT BULL SPEC
[or Donate Bitcoins]
- Paul Kincaid’s From the Other Side, September 2016: Christopher Priest’s The Gradual, Alastair Reynolds’ Revenger, Jonathan L. Howard, P.S. Publishing, and more
- Paul Kincaid’s From the Other Side, August 2016: The Arthur C. Clarke Awards, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Nalini Singh, Martin MacInnes, Gaie Sebold, Jeff Noon, and more
- September Newsletter: Sabaa Tahir and Renée Ahdieh, The Bookmarks Festival, Colson Whitehead, W. Scott Poole, and (in October) Marie Lu and Jonathan Lethem
- Coming to Town: W. Scott Poole for In the Mountains of Madness: The Life, Death, and Extraordinary Afterlife of H.P. Lovecraft, at Malaprop’s Bookstore and Scuppernong Books, reviewed by Nick Mamatas
- Statement on suspending The Exploding Spaceship column
Monthly Archives: January 2010
Wow, somehow it’s been two weeks since the last post here, and I wanted to let folks know BULL SPEC is still here, and that there are a few updates on what BULL SPEC has been up to, bullet point … Continue reading
“Closed System” is a graphic short story (comic book) which will be serialized in the 2010 quarterly run of BULL SPEC. When artist and writer Mike Gallagher pitched the idea of a “guide to time travel by giant disembodied ape … Continue reading