Well, I’ve printed a holiday greeting cards list number of shipping labels… but no UPS truck in sight. So a quick update on two topics.

Blurbage! From Tim Deal of Shroud Publishing, on my interview of D. Harlan Wilson:

“It’s compressive, intelligent, and enlightening.”

That’s fun stuff right there. So, on to point number two:

Submissions status! I’ve been unofficially open since early February, and might as well just call it official. While the guidelines are a touch out of date (now that I’m printing physical magazines as well) they suffice for the most part, with perhaps a touch of extra guidance and hintery as to what I am looking for:

• Local (somewhere around Durham, NC, US) short fiction, both original and reprint.
  • Poetry, both original and reprint.
  • For non-local short fiction, it needs to be on the shorter side, 1000-3000 words or so. I’ve committed to a great non-local story per issue through 2010, so if you want to know before late 2010 if I can pick up your story of 4000+ words, I’m probably not a great place to submit for that right now. That said… I’ll read pretty much anything you care to send.
  • Reviews and interviews and articles. Query on this, I have some things in mind I’d like to include reviews of, so if you’re open to suggestions, go ahead and ask. (editors at bullspec dot com)
  • Art and photography, both original and reprinted, and both stand alone and to accompany stories. For the latter, query with some sample art and we can talk.
  • Cover Art for Issue #2 is pretty high up on my list.
  • Looking way, way ahead: some pitches for 2011′s serialized graphic short story.

Whew. Still no UPS truck. Totally unfair. I have nearly every page for issue #2 accounted (or at least planned) for, but I’m going to let #1 have the spotlight a little longer. I do nearly desperately need a local fiction piece for issue #2, so if you’re local, say hello!

About these ads

10 Comments on “Shipping. Blurbage. Submissions status. Or: "It’s compressive, intelligent, and enlightening." And open!”

1. rarelytame says:

I'm peripherally local.So. Hello!~Terra LeMay

2. I'm going to have to come up with something to submit!Quick question: how many poems would you like us to submit at one time? I know some magazines like three to five, while others only like one.

3. mgellington says:

I live in Greensboro. I sent you something on May 11th.

4. montsamu says:

Hey mgellington — I'm in early April in reading new submissions right now. I will work my butt off to make a lot of progress when I get issue #2 out the door.

5. Jason says:

Hey! I'm a published writer living in Durham (and a NC native) and I submitted some original fantasy poetry-prose about two weeks ago (i know, not very long). Is there an average turnaround time for a response? Just wondering. thanksjason

6. montsamu says:

Hey Jason — sent you an e-mail.

7. Jen M. says:

Hey there! Just heard about this publication, and I'm a local author with a little bit of everything up my sleeve. I'm working on polishing up a metaphysical fiction piece and then I'll send it along…is it ok if the piece is not set locally?

8. montsamu says:

Hey Jen M., it's definitely OK if the piece is not set locally.

9. Gesmonde says:

I was wondering if all of the artwork for this magazine was created by on-staff artists or if you used freelance artists. If you only use on-staff artists, are there any positions open? Here is a link to my art blogsite: http://www.moonfaerieart.blogspot.com thank you for your time.