Whew. December is nearly upon us. After you recover from the weekend’s turkey-coma, wake up! December is getting off to a good start:
- Now: The November/December issue of the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (F&SF) includes the short story “The Closet” by John Kessel
- Wednesday, December 1, 7:30 PM, Quail Ridge Books: Greensboro author Orson Scott Card to read from his new book PATHFINDER (Simon Pulse)
- Thursday, December 2, 7 PM, Barnes & Noble of Brier Creek: Raleigh authors Clay and Susan Griffith to read from their new book THE GREYFRIAR (Book 1 of their Vampire Empire series, Pyr).
- Monday, December 6, 6-9 PM, Sci-Fi Genre Comics & Games: A hands-on demo of new Indie board game The Resistance
- Sunday, December 19, 3-8 PM, Research Triangle Science Fiction Society (and Bull Spec, too!) Holiday Party
- Soon: The January issue of Asimov’s Science Fiction includes the short story “Ashes on the Water” by Bull Spec #2 contributor (“The Other Lila”) Gwendolyn Clare (reviewed by Locus Online’s Lois Tilton)
- Wednesday January 12, 7 PM, The Regulator Bookshop: A double feature of the launch of Bull Spec #4 (with contributors Andrew Magowan and James Maxey) and the second NC Speculative Fiction Night, with guests Jaym Gates (writer, editor, anthologist, extraordinaire, etc.), Gray Rinehart (Baen), and Rebecca Rowe (author, Forbidden Cargo) and more
And as you prepare to face either the hordes of Black Friday or a more casual approach (say, 2 PM on a weekday?), if you have a someone for whom a book or comic or game might be an ideal gift, coming soon will be a quick cheat sheet of (mostly!) local speculative fiction. Stay tuned!