Strange California: A Speculative Fiction Anthology funding on Kickstarter through Fri, Oct 28 2016 2:59 AM EDT.
October 27 (Thursday) 6 pm -- Flyleaf Books hosts Megan Shepherd and John Claude Bemis for their new middle-grade novels The Secret Horses of Briar Hill and The Wooden Prince. Megan Shepherd grew up in her family’s independent bookstore in the Blue Ridge Mountains. She is the author of several acclaimed young adult books, and The Secret Horses of Briar Hill is her debut middle-grade novel. Shepherd lives and writes on a 125-year-old farm outside Asheville, North Carolina, with her husband, two cats, and a dog. John Claude Bemis is an award-winning author, musician, and educator. His novels include The Prince Who Fell from the Sky and the Clockwork Dark Trilogy. He received the Excellence in Teaching Award from UNC Chapel Hill’s School of Education for his work in the schools as an author-educator and served as North Carolina’s Piedmont Laureate in 2013. John lives with his wife and daughter in Hillsborough, NC.
October 28-30 (Friday to Sunday) — Military science fiction convention HonorCon 2016 at the Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown with authors David Weber, Charles Gannon, Christopher Nuttall, Greg Cox, and Steve White, and media guest Claudia Christian (Babylon 5).
SUPPORT BULL SPEC
[or Donate Bitcoins]
- Paul Kincaid’s From the Other Side, September 2016: Christopher Priest’s The Gradual, Alastair Reynolds’ Revenger, Jonathan L. Howard, P.S. Publishing, and more
- Paul Kincaid’s From the Other Side, August 2016: The Arthur C. Clarke Awards, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Nalini Singh, Martin MacInnes, Gaie Sebold, Jeff Noon, and more
- September Newsletter: Sabaa Tahir and Renée Ahdieh, The Bookmarks Festival, Colson Whitehead, W. Scott Poole, and (in October) Marie Lu and Jonathan Lethem
- Coming to Town: W. Scott Poole for In the Mountains of Madness: The Life, Death, and Extraordinary Afterlife of H.P. Lovecraft, at Malaprop’s Bookstore and Scuppernong Books, reviewed by Nick Mamatas
- Statement on suspending The Exploding Spaceship column
Monthly Archives: May 2011
Wait. Just wait a minute. Year 2 has barely started and I’m talking about Year 3? I’m talking about Year 3. When I started Bull Spec, I committed to two years. Thanks to an awful lot of support (and trust, … Continue reading
With all apologies to George R.R. Martin’s Game of Thrones: SUMMER IS COMING! From the VanderMeers to Lev Grossman to our own Mighty Mur, there’s an awful lot going on. MAY7 The “summer” pretty much got started as Free Comic Book Day was … Continue reading
A CABINET OF CURIOSITIES LITERARY EXTRAVAGANZA! Join Hugo Award winning editor Ann VanderMeer and World Fantasy Award winner Jeff VanderMeer for a book release party and evening of celebration-give-aways, short humorous readings, and great conversations. Spotlight on the debut of … Continue reading
Did you know that you can still register as a supporting member of World Fantasy Convention 2011 and submit your nominations for best novel, life achievement, and other categories? You can, until May 31. While San Diego’s World Fantasy Convention … Continue reading