Strange California: A Speculative Fiction Anthology funding on Kickstarter through Fri, Oct 28 2016 2:59 AM EDT.
October 27 (Thursday) 6 pm -- Flyleaf Books hosts Megan Shepherd and John Claude Bemis for their new middle-grade novels The Secret Horses of Briar Hill and The Wooden Prince. Megan Shepherd grew up in her family’s independent bookstore in the Blue Ridge Mountains. She is the author of several acclaimed young adult books, and The Secret Horses of Briar Hill is her debut middle-grade novel. Shepherd lives and writes on a 125-year-old farm outside Asheville, North Carolina, with her husband, two cats, and a dog. John Claude Bemis is an award-winning author, musician, and educator. His novels include The Prince Who Fell from the Sky and the Clockwork Dark Trilogy. He received the Excellence in Teaching Award from UNC Chapel Hill’s School of Education for his work in the schools as an author-educator and served as North Carolina’s Piedmont Laureate in 2013. John lives with his wife and daughter in Hillsborough, NC.
October 28-30 (Friday to Sunday) — Military science fiction convention HonorCon 2016 at the Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown with authors David Weber, Charles Gannon, Christopher Nuttall, Greg Cox, and Steve White, and media guest Claudia Christian (Babylon 5).
SUPPORT BULL SPEC
[or Donate Bitcoins]
- Paul Kincaid’s From the Other Side, September 2016: Christopher Priest’s The Gradual, Alastair Reynolds’ Revenger, Jonathan L. Howard, P.S. Publishing, and more
- Paul Kincaid’s From the Other Side, August 2016: The Arthur C. Clarke Awards, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Nalini Singh, Martin MacInnes, Gaie Sebold, Jeff Noon, and more
- September Newsletter: Sabaa Tahir and Renée Ahdieh, The Bookmarks Festival, Colson Whitehead, W. Scott Poole, and (in October) Marie Lu and Jonathan Lethem
- Coming to Town: W. Scott Poole for In the Mountains of Madness: The Life, Death, and Extraordinary Afterlife of H.P. Lovecraft, at Malaprop’s Bookstore and Scuppernong Books, reviewed by Nick Mamatas
- Statement on suspending The Exploding Spaceship column
Monthly Archives: August 2012
DURHAM, NC: August 31, 2012 WHAT: Bull Spec, a Durham-based speculative fiction magazine established in 2009, is pleased to announce its second Teen Writing contest, to be judged by Sharyn November, Viking Children’s Books Senior Editor and Editorial Director of … Continue reading
While I’m soon to pull the trigger on the full September newsletter, here’s the handout flyer of highlights for September and early October. It’s a busy month ahead! Update: Corrected an inaccurate listing. Andy Duncan’s reading at NCSU is on … Continue reading
Since the August newsletter was mailed out a few weeks ago, and even since last week’s round of quick updates, the news and events have been piling up. While it’s not quite time to send out the September newsletter yet, … Continue reading
Beginning September 14 in Columbia, SC and making its way through North and South Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, and ending up in Savannah, GA on September 22, The Unchained Tour is bringing Neil Gaiman and a crew of Moth-veteran raconteurs to the Carolinas … Continue reading
Couldn’t make it out to Flyleaf for the Michael J. Sullivan and T.C. McCarthy reading? I’m absolutely stoked to remind folks that Calvin Powers captured the readings on video for all to see. Thank you so much, Calvin! And thanks … Continue reading