Vol 2. No 8. November 2, 2012:
This weekend there are three events kicking off a busy month of November, which brings Cherie Priest back to the Triangle for her new book, another chance to catch Durham author Nathan Kotecki, and features NC Comicon in Durham:
- November 2-8 (Friday to Thursday) — Carolina Theatre of Durham hosts a Studio Ghibli / Miyazaki animated film screening series, including “Howl’s Moving Castle”, “Princess Mononoke”, and several others: http://www.carolinatheatre.org/films?tid=60
- November 3-4 (Saturday and Sunday) — Ultimate Comics hosts a 24 hour comic event, in which participants will complete a full 24-page comic in just 24 hours. Stay as long as you like or drop in: http://ultimatecomics.com/2012/09/24-hour-comics-days-november-3-4/
- November 4 (Sunday) 2 pm — Alex Granados reading and signing his debut novel Cemetery Plot at McIntyre’s Books in Fearrington Village in Pittsboro: http://www.fearrington.com/village/event.asp?id=2304 (and Alex has several more local readings through the first half of November)
Before I get to the events calendar, a few bits of rapid-fire news:
- I haven’t talked much about goings on at the website, so here’s a quick plug for the weekly “Hardest Part” guest author series, in which local, regional, and “Bull Spec alumni” authors write about the hardest part of writing their most recent book: http://bullspec.com/category/the-hardest-part/
- Also just out is the 2012 edition of Bull Spec’s local and regional author holiday book-buying guide: http://bullspec.com/2012/10/27/2012-local-and-regional-author-holiday-book-buying-guide/
- A pleading reminder that Dec 1 is deadline for the North and South Carolina teen writing contest. We need more entries: http://bullspec.com/2012/08/31/announcement-second-bull-spec-teen-writing-contest-judged-by-sharyn-november/
- Raleigh author J.L. Hilton’s debut sf novel Stellarnet Rebel has just been announced as a finalist for the EPIC award for best electronically-published science fiction novel: http://epicorg.com/competitions/2013-ebook-award-finalists.html
- Speaking of awards, the 2012 Goodreads Choice Awards are open for first round voting, but… sadly none of our local or regional authors are nominees. But! These awards operate in a multi-stage way, and write-ins can help a book make the final list. Whether local or otherwise, pick your favorite reads of the year: http://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/391-the-2012-goodreads-choice-awards-now-open-for-voting
- Speaking of voting, Saturday, November 3 (tomorrow) is the last day for early voting in North Carolina, also making it the last day for one-stop register and vote. If you aren’t registered and wish to vote, you can do so today and tomorrow: http://www.ncsbe.gov/content.aspx?id=135
3-4 (Saturday to Sunday) — Ultimate Comics hosts a 24 hour comics day event from Nov 3 Sat to Nov 4 Sunday noon to noon; participants will full 24-page comics in 24 hours. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/409522805782118/
4 (Sunday) 2 pm — Alex Granados reading and signing his debut novel Cemetery Plot at McIntyre’s Books in Fearrington Village in Pittsboro: http://www.fearrington.com/village/event.asp?id=2304
NEW: 5 (Monday) 7 pm: Quail Ridge Books hosts Cinda Chima for a reading and signing of her young adult fantasy novel The Crimson Crown, the fourth and final novel of her Seven Realms series. More info: http://www.quailridgebooks.com/event/cinda-chima-seven-realms-conclusion-crimson-crown
9 (Friday) — Granados at The Storetellers Bookstore in Wake Forest, during the town’s Art after Hours event.
NEW: 9-12 (Friday to Monday) — The Rocky Horror Show at the Carrboro ArtsCenter, presented by Pauper Players. Tickets: http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/eventSearch.jsp?event_id=570503&cobrand=artscenter
NEW: 10 (Saturday) 11 am — McIntyre’s Books hosts Ilie Ruby for her second novel, The Salt God’s Daughter, “Imbued with a traditional Scottish folktale and hints of Jewish mysticism”. More info: http://www.fearrington.com/village/calendar.asp?month=11&year=2012
NEW: 12 (Monday)
7 pm — Durham author Nathan Kotecki visits The Regulator Bookshop for a reading and signing of The Suburban Strange. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/241877642602182/
12 — Local author new novel: J.L. Hilton’s Stellarnet Prince, sequel to January’s Stellarnet Rebel, to be published by Carina Press.
13 (Tuesday) 7:30 pm — Granados at Chapel Hill’s Flyleaf Books.
15 (Thursday) 7 pm — Granados at Durham’s The Regulator Bookshop.
NEW-NEW: 16 (Friday) 6:30 pm: (Non-genre event) McIntyre’s Books hosts bestselling Norwegian thriller novelist Jo Nesbo. More info: http://www.fearrington.com/village/event.asp?id=2317
NEW: 17 (Saturday) 3 pm — Quail Ridge Books hosts Morgan Keyes for a reading and signing of new “ages 10 and up” fantasy novel, Darkbeast. More info: http://www.quailridgebooks.com/event/morgan-keyes-new-fantasy-darkbeast
NEW-NEW: 17 (Saturday) 8 to 10 pm — Pittsboro’s Davenport and Winkleperry hosts a book release party for “A Steampunk’s Guide to Sex” with local contributors: https://www.facebook.com/events/462488663795324/
17-18 (Saturday and Sunday) — NC Comicon at the Durham Convention Center with a long list of guests: http://nccomicon.com/
NEW: 19 (Monday) 6:30 pm — Local author Mark L. Van Name will host a NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) related writing workshop at the Cameron Village Library.
NEW: 28 (Wednesday) 6 pm: Pulitzer Prize-winning author and oncologist Siddhartha Mukherjee will discuss his non-fiction book The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer at Duke University’s Page Auditorium. Admission is free, but tickets are required and will be available through the Duke Box Office starting November 7. Visit tickets.duke.edu for more information: http://blogs.library.duke.edu/blog/2012/10/19/author-and-cancer-physician-siddhartha-mukherjee-to-speak-at-duke-nov-28/
NEW: 30 (Friday) 7 pm — Cherie Priest returns to the Triangle, as Flyleaf Books hosts a reading and signing from her forthcoming Clockwork Century novel, The Inexplicables. More info: http://www.flyleafbooks.com/event/cherie-priest-reads-her-new-steampunk-adventure-inexplicables [Facebook event]
NEW: 30 (Friday) 7 pm — Quail Ridge Books hosts Allie Condie for Reached, the conclusion of the #1 NYT bestselling “Matched” trilogy, a YA dystopia. More info: http://www.quailridgebooks.com/event/allie-condie-matched-trilogy-conclusion
NEW-NEW: 1 (Saturday) 5 pm — Chapel Hill Comics hosts a My Little Pony comic book release party. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/111808732312572/
NEW-NEW: 5 (Wednesday) 6:30 pm — Fullsteam Brewery hosts a screening of the locally-produced short horror film, Foodie. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/527784877241249/
NEW-NEW: 9 (Sunday) 2 to 10 pm — The 3rd annual Bull Spec / RTSFS Holiday Party in Durham. (If you can’t see the Facebook event, join the RTSFS mailing list, or Facebook group, or friend Sam on Facebook, or just email me.) For more info: https://www.facebook.com/events/136913919789125/
NEW-NEW: 13 (Thursday) 6 pm — The Orange County Main Library hosts four local authors (Alex Granados, Rebecca Gomez Farrell, Gray Rinehart, and James Maxey) for original “winter tales”. More info: http://engagedpatrons.org/EventsExtended.cfm?SiteID=6923&EventID=150465
NEW: 15 (Saturday) 4 to 7 pm — Chapel Hill Comics hosts a Geek Mom book event, with local contributor Natania Barron among other guests.
NEW-NEW: 31 (Monday) 9 pm til late — Davenport and Winkleperry host The Clockwork Ball to ring in the New Year, Steampunk style. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/286024288183189/
11-13 (Friday to Sunday) — illogiCon 2 will be held at the Embassy Suites of Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle on January 11-13, 2013, with writer guest of honor Tim Powers and webcomic guest of honor Garth Graham, and toastmaster Mark L. Van Name: http://www.illogicon.com/
NEW-NEW: 2 (Saturday) 3 pm — Quail Ridge Books hosts NY Times bestselling “True Blood” author and NC native Kim Harrison for Ever After, the latest in her Hollows series.
NEW-NEW: 16 (Saturday) 2 pm — Flyleaf Books hosts Cory Doctorow for Homeland, sequel to Little Brother. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/530598563635194/
NEW-NEW: 20 (Wednesday) TBD pm – Quail Ridge Books again hosts best-selling author Brandon Sanderson, this time for the conclusion of The Wheel of Time series, A Memory of Light. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/117403835073651/
27-30 (Thursday to Sunday) — ConTemporal 2013 at the North Raleigh Hilton, beginning with the Thursday evening guest of honor dinner and continuing all weekend, as this Steampunk-themed convention is back for a second year. More info: http://contemporal.org/