First, this is something I’ve been meaning to talk more at length about all week: Raleigh journalist Zack Smith’s first published comic “The Stars Below” just hit digital shelves, with art by Portland artist Rich Ellis:
Zack first showed this to me over a year ago, and right away I was blown away by this powerful and actually moving story, told without words from a pigeon’s perspective in New York. I’m very glad it is out for a wider audience. It’s just a buck from Comixology, and of the list of impressive reviews he’s already accumulated, here’s one I think which takes the cake: “Here is the quintessential New York survivor’s story, told with warmth, humor and vibrancy. And there’s even a chase scene.” -Junot Díaz (Drown, This is How You Lose Her, Pulitzer Prize Winner, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao).
Second, some great local publishing news as Angry Robot Books announced that it has signed local author Jay Posey to a 2-book deal for his Duskwalker Cycle set in a post-apocalyptic America. Congrats, Jay!
Lastly, some event reminders over the weekend and next week:
- November 9 (Friday) — Granados at The Storytellers Bookstore in Wake Forest, during the town’s Art after Hours event.
- 9-12 (Friday to Monday) — The Rocky Horror Show at the Carrboro ArtsCenter, presented by Pauper Players. Tickets: http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/eventSearch.jsp?event_id=570503&cobrand=artscenter
- 10 (Saturday) 11 am — McIntyre’s Books hosts Ilie Ruby for her second novel, The Salt God’s Daughter, “Imbued with a traditional Scottish folktale and hints of Jewish mysticism”. More info: http://www.fearrington.com/village/calendar.asp?month=11&year=2012
- 12 (Monday)
7 pm — Durham author Nathan Kotecki visits The Regulator Bookshop for a reading and signing of The Suburban Strange. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/241877642602182/
- 12 — Local author new novel: J.L. Hilton’s Stellarnet Prince, sequel to January’s Stellarnet Rebel, to be published by Carina Press.
- 13 (Tuesday) 7:30 pm — Granados at Chapel Hill’s Flyleaf Books.
- 15 (Thursday) 7 pm — Granados at Durham’s The Regulator Bookshop.
- 16 (Friday) 6:30 pm: (Non-genre event) McIntyre’s Books hosts bestselling Norwegian thriller novelist Jo Nesbo. More info: http://www.fearrington.com/village/event.asp?id=2317
- 17 (Saturday) 3 pm — Quail Ridge Books hosts Morgan Keyes for a reading and signing of new “ages 10 and up” fantasy novel, Darkbeast. More info: http://www.quailridgebooks.com/event/morgan-keyes-new-fantasy-darkbeast
- 17 (Saturday) 8 to 10 pm — Pittsboro’s Davenport and Winkleperry hosts a book release party for “A Steampunk’s Guide to Sex” with local contributors: https://www.facebook.com/events/462488663795324/
- 17-18 (Saturday and Sunday) — NC Comicon at the Durham Convention Center with a long list of guests: http://nccomicon.com/
- 19 (Monday) 6:30 pm — Local author Mark L. Van Name will host a NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) related writing workshop at the Cameron Village Library.