Friday, May 16, 2014: DeepSouthCon opened today and continues all weekend at new convention ConTrails in Bristol, Virginia (“the bit that sticks out over Tennessee”) with guest of honor Gordon Van Gelder, the legendary editor of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, and artist guest of honor Charles Vess. Meanwhile, as always, I missed quite a few things in the May newsletter, which I’ve updated with “NEW-NEW” event listings including Maker Faire NC (June 7), the annual “Can’t Stop the Serenity” screening (July 27), and not one but TWO events with John Scalzi in late August.
- June 2 (Monday) 6:30 pm — James Maxey and Nathan Kotecki’s “First Monday Classics” series at the Orange County Public Library in Hillsborough continues with Edgar Allen Poe’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination, with guest panelist Edmund Schubert. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1441047636143009/
- June 4 (Wednesday) 7 pm — Asheville’s Malaprop’s Bookstore hosts Durham author Monica Byrne for her debut post-apocalyptic novel The Girl in the Road. More info: http://www.malaprops.com/event/monica-byrne-presents-girls-road
- June 7 (Saturday) — Maker Faire North Carolina at the NC Fairgrounds Exhibition Center. More info: http://www.makerfairenc.com/
- June 19 (Thursday) 6 pm — “Noir at the Bar” in Durham as “Seven gritty crime writers descend upon Downtown Durham to talk books, writing, and drinking at 106 Main. Join Grant Jerkins, Phillip Thompson, Steve Weddle, Eryk Pruitt, Charles Dodd White, Peter Farris and Chad Rohrbacher for a night so dangerous, you’re going to need a drink.” More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1529679923926165/
- July 27 (Sunday) 6 pm — The annual Raleigh NC Browncoats “Can’t Stop the Serenity” charity screening of Serenity, the Firefly movie, at the Raleighwood Cinema Grill. Doors open at 6 pm ahead of a costume contest and raffle prior to the screening at 8 pm. This event usually sells out in advance. More info: http://www.ncbrowncoats.com/
- August 28 (Thursday) 7:30 pm — Quail Ridge Books hosts John Scalzi for his forthcoming sf novel Lock In.
- August 29 (Friday) 7 pm — Flyleaf Books hosts John Scalzi for his forthcoming sf novel Lock In.
New listings (and a week or so since putting out the last one) means a new flyer, too, which picks up with events in late May (after Animazement in Raleigh, May 23-25) and continues on through a summer with some spectacular readings: Monica Byrne (May 28, The Regulator), Jeff VanderMeer (July 10, Quail Ridge Books), Lev Grossman (August 28, Flyleaf Books), and back-to-back John Scalzi (August 28, Quail Ridge Books and August 29, Flyleaf Books). Please! Share, print, distribute, and spread the word:
One last thing: Monica Byrne’s latest play, Tarantino’s Yellow Speedo, kicks off at Manbites Dog Theater on May 22, with Thursday to Sunday showings through June 7 and one Sunday matinee on June 1. Directed by Jay O’Berski and presented by Little Green Pig Theatrical Concern, it’s “A hyper-sensually deep comedy about borders between bodies and nations. Set in the Olympic Village, a cell of international athletes train to become an elite task force of sexual operatives determined to bring down the divisions between countries.”
UPCOMING EVENTS, MAY 2014
16-18 (Friday to Sunday) — DeepSouthCon 52 at new convention ConTrails in Bristol, Virginia. (That’s the bit that sticks out over Tennessee in the southwest corner of the state.) With Guest of Honor: Gordon Van Gelder and Artist Guest of Honor: Charles Vess. Additionally, the Rebel and Phoenix Awards will be presented. “Contrails is a new convention in scenic Bristol, Virginia. We’re an “old fashioned” sci fi literature con with an emphasis on the written word, discussion and southern hospitality.” More info: http://www.contrails-sf.org/
17 (Saturday) 10 am — Durham’s Atomic Empire hosts the SCG Spring State Championships (Magic: the Gathering). $25 entry fee.
20 — Local book release day for Durham author and playwright Monica Byrne’s debut novel, The Girl in the Road.
23-25 (Friday to Sunday) — Animazement in Raleigh, NC. More info: http://www.animazement.com/
23-26 (Friday to Monday) — BaltiCon 48 with Guest of Honor Brandon Sanderson, 2013 Compton Crook Award winner Myke Cole, 2014 Heinlein Award recipient Geoffrey A. Landis, and Ghost of Honor Robert Jordan. More info: http://www.balticon.org/
28 (Wednesday) 7 pm — The Regulator Bookshop hosts Monica Byrne for the launch of her debut novel, The Girl in the Road. More info: http://regulatorbookshop.com/event/monica-byrne
31 (Saturday) – Shatterdome Atlanta 2014 is a new fan-run Pacific Rim convention being held May 31, 2014 at the Atlanta Marriott Perimeter Center being put on by (among others) Conni Covington. Here are some links to learn more; they’re still pretty early in planning so I don’t see guest lists and such yet: http://shatterdomeatl.tumblr.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/events/1376406699280500/
30 (Friday) to June 1 (Sunday) — ConCarolinas in Charlotte, with guest of honor George R.R. Martin and artist guest of honor Tommy Lee Edwards. More info: http://concarolinas.org/