OmniJoy by Cerulean Submergence, a multipurpose Raspberry Pi powered robot controller and gamepad, funding on Kickstarter through Fri, February 2 2018 10:45 AM EST.
Friday, January 19, 2018 - 7:00pm -- Raleigh's Quail Ridge Books hosts Lyndsay Ely for her new young adult novel Gunslinger Girl, "a thrilling dystopian Western starring a teenage sharpshooter to rival Annie Oakley."
Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 7:00pm -- Chapel Hill's Flyleaf Books hosts John Darnielle for the paperback release of his latest novel Universal Harvester. "Life in a small town takes a dark turn when mysterious footage begins appearing on VHS cassettes at the local Video Hut."
Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 7:00pm -- Raleigh's Quail Ridge Books hosts John Kessel for his new novel Pride and Prometheus. "Pride and Prejudice meets Frankenstein in this NCSU English professor’s literary mash-up of the classics as Mary Bennet falls for Victor Frankenstein and befriends his monstrous creature."
- February Newsletter: Colson Whitehead, John Darnielle, John Kessel, the Playthrough Gaming Convention, and more
- The year in NC science fiction and fantasy, part 3 of 3: Beyond the Triangle
- The year in NC science fiction and fantasy, part 2 of 3: The Rest of What’s Best from the Triangle
- November newsletter: NC Comicon Bull City, Leigh Statham, Michele Tracy Berger and Nicole Givens Kurtz, Octavia Butler’s Parable of the Sower: The Opera, and more
- September newsletter: Scott Reintgen, Rebecca Gomez Farrell, Mur Lafferty, James Maxey, Natania Barron, Annalee Newitz, and more
Author Archives: montsamu
Picking up as promised from part 2, which was a deeper dive covering new books from the greater Raleigh-Durham area, let’s take a look at the incredible variety (and volume!) of speculative fiction published last year from across North Carolina, … Continue reading
Wait, what’s this? New non-newsletter content at bullspec.com?! Yes, indeed! But, you say, part 2? Where’s part 1? I’m glad you asked! I was very pleased indeed that Indy Week editor Brian Howe invited me to contribute another “local books in review” … Continue reading
Three — count ’em! — three North Carolina authors have new books out today: Frost and Filigree by Natania Barron is a novella in the new The Shadow Council Case Files novella series from Falstaff Books, a spin-off shared world of … Continue reading
Saiensu Fikushon 2016 (Haikasoru, 2016) is a sushi sampler sized feast of bizarre, compelling, and legitimately technophobia-inducing speculative fiction from Japan, launching a new annual (we can hope!) mini-anthology series that hearkens back (with its conception and cover design, at least) … Continue reading