September 6 (Tuesday) 7 pm — Quail Ridge Books hosts Sabaa Tahir for A Torch Against the Night, “the highly anticipated sequel to her acclaimed debut, An Ember in the Ashes. The follow-up novel continues Tahir’s suspenseful tale of rebellion in a land of oppression and fear. . Catch up to the action with Ember, a captivating tale with “… the addictive quality of The Hunger Games combined with the fantasy of Harry Potter and the brutality of Game of Thrones.”— Public Radio International. For ages 14+.” Renee Ahdieh, the bestselling author of The Wrath and the Dawn and The Rose and the Dagger, will be joining Sabaa as her “in conversation” partner.
September 22 (Thursday) 7 pm — The Regulator Bookshop (The Durham Armory) Colson Whitehead, “The Underground Railroad”. Whitehead is the author of the brilliant post-apocalyptic zombie novel Zone One. Here: “Prize-winning, bestselling author Colson Whitehead comes to The Regulator to discuss his new book, The Underground Railroad, a magnificent tour de force chronicling a young slave’s adventures as she makes a desperate bid for freedom in the antebellum South. The Underground Railroad is at once a kinetic adventure tale of one woman’s ferocious will to escape the horrors of bondage, and a shattering, powerful meditation on the history we all share. This will be a ticketed event. Two tickets come with each purchase of the book ($27.00), or tickets without a book are $10.00 each. Books with tickets may be purchased at the store, through our web site, or at the door. Admission tickets may be purchased at the door. Admission tickets may be used as credit toward a book purchase at the event.” Note for the curious: in Whitehead’s retelling, the Underground Railroad is indeed an underground railway of tunnels and train cars. Don’t miss this!
SUPPORT BULL SPEC
[or Donate Bitcoins]
- Statement on suspending The Exploding Spaceship column
- Friday Quick Updates: Edmund R. Schubert’s This Giant Leap, new-new and updated events, award news, and more
- Paul Kincaid’s From the Other Side, July 2016: NewCon Press turns 10, collections from Alastair Reynolds and M. John Harrison, sf/f and “mainstream” novels, and the strains of the fantastic in this year’s Booker Prize
- The Exploding Spaceship reviews An Accident of Stars, Blood of the Earth, and Spiderlight
- July/August Newsletter: Events with Tony Daniel, Gwenda Bond, Christos Gage, Thomas Olde Heuvelt, and Drew Magary, and the 2016 Manly Wade Wellman Award goes to…
Category Archives: store-announcements
Well, issue #2 has a new store carrying Bull Spec, Barnes & Noble’s Durham “New Hope Commons” location. (For all locations, click here!) It’s way back and the bottom in the newsstand, to the left of “The Paris Review” and … Continue reading
Well, issue #1 is in stock at Barnes & Noble location at the Streets of Southpoint in Durham; thanks very much to the management there giving it a chance and their support. And a box is on its way to … Continue reading