Since the August newsletter was mailed out a few weeks ago, and even since last week’s round of quick updates, the news and events have been piling up. While it’s not quite time to send out the September newsletter yet, there are some things coming up and not yet specifically mentioned that I wanted to get out into the world:
- August 20 (Monday) 9 pm — “Nerd-Vana Presents Super Mega Ultra-Funcade Toon-Hour”, something which appears to be a series of strange skits involving Saturday morning cartoon themes, with Rich Sigfrit and Laura Haywood-Cory and a long list of other performers, at Legends Nightclub in Raleigh. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/209595709169790/
- August 21 (Tuesday) 7 pm — Monthly book club meeting of the Research Triangle Science Fiction Society (RTSFS) with this month being a discussion of Neal Stephenson’s The Diamond Age and also a discussion of this year’s Hugo nominees. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/419566308080461/
- August 24 (Friday) 10 am — Ann Patchett visits Duke for the DukeReads summer reading program’s discussion of her novel State of Wonder. Watch live online at 10 am via Duke University’s ustream channel. More info: http://dukealumni.com/learn-travel/dukereads
- August 24-26 (Friday to Sunday) — Major League Gaming Summer Championships in Raleigh. More info: http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/competitions/40
- August 28 (Tuesday) 6:30 pm –The next SF/F Group meeting of the Durham Writers Group, a writing workshop. RSVP via the Meetup group.
- September 4 (Tuesday) 7 pm — Best-selling science fiction and horror author Scott Sigler visits Chapel Hill Comics for a reading and signing event.
- September 9 (Sunday) 4 pm — Screening of the short local horror film “Foodie” as part of the Carrboro Arts Center’s Second Sunday film series along with three other short films. Ticketed event: $5. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/247295845391580/
- September 9 (Sunday) 9 pm — NerdMusik! at Tir Na Nog with Greenville’s Danny Birt among those performing. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/255087191277612/
- September 14 (Friday) 9 pm — Amanda Palmer at the Cat’s Cradle in Carrboro. More info: http://www.amandapalmer.net/shows/
- September 20 (Thursday) 7:30 pm — The Unchained Tour, including Neil Gaiman, at The Varsity Theatre in Chapel Hill. Ticketed event, with tickets available online or in person at Flyleaf Books. More info: http://bullspec.com/2012/08/15/the-unchained-tour-including-neil-gaiman-with-events-across-the-carolinas-in-september/
- (Ongoing) “Cattes Wearing Hattes” pre-registration drive for illogiCon — for every 3 pre-registrations, another convention staff member changes their Facebook profile picture to, well, a cat wearing a hat. When they reach 30 I’ll be changing my profile pic to one of my cats wearing a green bowler as well. Did I mention Tim Powers is the literary guest of honor, and Mark L. Van Name is the toastmaster? More info on this, er, “event” at: https://www.facebook.com/events/288960271212241/
Whew. Not much going on, not at all… Meanwhile, don’t be fooled — there are already-mentioned events which filter in through those dates above. It’s quite a busy early fall!